Tuesday 8 July 2014

Back to Afrika

Every spare surface in the house has been covered with paperwork over the last couple of weeks, as the missus works on her end of term reports for school.  Tonight I managed to finally claim a bit back and dash out a few more Airfix Afrika Korp.





From the research I've been doing it seems that Afrika Korps kit was a pretty mixed bunch, including an old tropical uniform that was a kind of olive green, later drab kit, various stages of faded and bleached items, and even captured and Italian kit, so I've gone with a pretty varied look.  Not sure if it works or not, but it's been fun to do!

10 comments:

  1. I agree they look great just one thing im not sure about is the leather straps. I think they were brown for Africa Korps not black, could be wrong though. Maybe someone could comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Guys. Greg, you're quite right about the straps; as far as I can, they were issued with a combination of dark brown leather and khaki canvas webbing. I went with the dark brown for contrast, but it has come out as black in the photos. I could probably have done with a slightly lighter shade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps one of the greatest sets of figures, that was ever produced - and your painting has given the merit they deserve. Wonderful work Alan. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Thanos. This set has some great poses and nice detail.

      Delete
  4. They look very good. You keep prodding my nostalgia for these excellent figures !

    Cheers, Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some of the most well painted WWII era soldier's I've ever seen! Usually, the paint is just globbed on, but with these, you can see the layering and the highlights. Well done, truly.

    Regards,
    Luciano.

    ReplyDelete