Monday, 29 June 2015

First panzer iv complete (finally!)

After my airbrush problems I had to go a different direction with the Panzer IVs.  German armour camouflage wasn't particularly standardised, with the brown and green added by individual maintenance crews using whatever was available: sprays, brushes, rags, etc.  In the end I decided to go with a 'hand applied' look.  Quite pleased with the result overall.

EDIT: Just realised that I've but the back piece on upside down!
I've fixed this on the remaining two panzers,  but to late for this one

Still too more to do.  German armour takes much longer to paint than British, flat green is much easier to do!

The PSC panzers are a lovely kit though.  Still a fast build but more complex than the Churchills were, and the instructions could do with improving.  Other than that, highly recommended.

Sunday, 28 June 2015

Airbrush Woes

Had some time off work recently, so whilst Mel took the little miniature to various baby groups (I believe dancing and singing is involved, which is why she does it rather than me!), I decided to get out the airbrush and get some camo on those Panzers and Stugs that have been half finished forever.

It did not go well...

Even using VJ airbush paints, the result was far too speckled to be usable.  Unfortunately re-doing the base coat only made it worse:

Oops.  Good job I only practiced on the one Stug!  Back to the brushes then (as shown in the test on the left of the photo).

Still not sure how to rescue that Stug though...