Wednesday 29 November 2017

Bring out yer dead!

Progress to date on those Grenadier skeletons.

I've commented before about my early armies, including my first faltering attempts at an undead army.  I'l admit, one of the main reasons I never made much progress was that it turned out I was rubbish at painting them!  However things have moved on since then, partly in terms of my own skills and experience, but also the tools available, with spray undercoats, washes and different types of paints, and easy access to tutorials and other painter's tips online.

So here we go again...

First test subjects:





Zandri Dust base/undercoat.  Wash with AGrax Earthshade, then layer up.

I love these models, some of the best skeletons I've ever seen, anatomically great with none of the 'evil' stylisation seen on some (yes, Mantic, I'm looking at you) or random batwings and horns (GW, cough, cough).  They are a little fragile though, combination of age and those thin joint.  They also have some of the most bizarrely random styles and equipment, with medieval bucket helms mixed with something that looks like Lorica Segmentata and a wooden, round shield  Sometimes a bit off but overall gives a great look.

As well as my existing collection, I did fall prey to the curse of ebay but, as that included the old 'Skleleton Raiders' boxed set I'm Ok with that, especially as it included this marvellous chap and his supporters.



1 comment:

  1. Very impressive, love this outstanding chief vignette!

    ReplyDelete